Food counter attendants, kitchen helpers and related support occupations
National Occupation Code (NOC): 6711
Kitchen helpers, food service helpers and dishwashers clear tables, clean kitchen areas, wash dishes, and perform various other activities to assist workers who prepare or serve food and beverages. They are employed by restaurants, cafes, hotels, fast food outlets, cafeterias, hospitals and other establishments.
Follow This Occupation
Job Duties for Food counter attendants, kitchen helpers and related support occupations
Food counter attendants and food preparers
- Take customers' orders
- Clean, peel, slice and trim foodstuffs using manual and electric appliances
- Use deep fryer, grill, oven, dispensers and other equipment to prepare fast food items such as sandwiches, hamburgers, fries, salads, ice cream dishes, milkshakes and other beverages
- Portion, assemble, and wrap food or place it directly on plates for service to patrons, and package take-out food
- Use equipment to prepare hot beverages such as coffee and tea specialties
- Serve customers at counters or buffet tables
- Stock refrigerators and salad bars and keep records of the quantities of food used
- May receive payment for food items purchased.
- Wash and peel vegetables and fruit
- Wash work tables, cupboards and appliances
- Remove trash and clean kitchen garbage containers
- Unpack and store supplies in refrigerators, cupboards and other storage areas
- Sweep and mop floors, and perform other duties to assist cook and kitchen staff.
Food service helpers
- Clear and clean tables and trays in eating establishments
- Bring clean dishes, flatware and other items to serving areas and set tables
- Replenish condiments and other supplies at tables and in serving areas
- Remove dishes before and after courses
- Perform other duties such as scraping and stacking dishes, carrying linen to and from laundry area and running errands.
- Wash dishes, glassware, flatware, pots and pans using dishwasher or by hand
- Place dishes in storage area
- Scour pots and pans, and may clean and polish silverware.
Working Conditions for Food counter attendants, kitchen helpers and related support occupations
Work is typically performed indoors in humid kitchens, which can be quite fast-paced. Long periods of standing are often necessary, and safety precautions are taken to prevent injury from kitchen equipment.
Alternate Job Titles
- Food Service Worker
- Food Service Aid
- Dining Room Server
- Food Prep
- Dietary Aide
- Kitchen Helper
- Dish Washer
- Dish Washers
- Team Member, Tim Hortons
- Dietary Server
- Crew Member
- Food Counter Attendant
- SUBWAY SANDWICH ARTIST
- Food Service Attendant
- FOOD SERVICES HELPER
- Subway Sandwich Artist
- Submarine Maker/ Customer Service