National Occupation Code (NOC): 1512
Letter carriers sort and deliver mail, record delivery of registered mail and collect money for cash-on-delivery parcels. Letter carriers are employed by Canada Post Corporation.
Follow This Occupation
Job Duties for Letter carriers
- Organize mail by address and load into mailbag
- Deliver letters, small parcels and other printed matter along established routes
- Deliver telegrams, special delivery and express mail
- Collect payment for cash-on-delivery service
- Record delivery of registered mail
- Leave notices indicating that items could not be delivered and the location where they can be picked up
- Return undeliverable mail to postal station.
Working Conditions for Letter carriers
This position is often done outdoors, walking or driving throughout a community. This involves carrying parcels that may collectively weigh up to 50 lbs, requiring good physical strength and stamina.
Alternate Job Titles
- Letter Carrier
- Mail Carrier
- Mail Collector
- Mail Deliverer
- Postal Carrier
- Postal Service Deliverer
- Postal Worker
- Priority Post Carrier
- Rural Mail Carrier
- Special Delivery Mail Carrier