WE LIP Success Story – June 2018
ESINC Open Air Display
March 24, 2018
Approximately 600 newcomers were in attendance at the 9th Annual Emergency Services Introduction to New Canadians (ESINC) Open Air Display held at Major FA Tilston Armoury & Police Training Centre on May 24, 2018.
In addition to emergency services equipment displays and information booths, the planning committee offered newcomers the unique experience of a mock accident scene. Onlookers saw first-hand how emergency service responders including police, fire and ambulance respond to a vehicle accident. Cheers erupted when the jaws of life were used to remove the vehicle top and the accident victim was extracted.
The ESINC Planning Committee includes:
- Essex-Windsor Emergency Medical Service
- New Canadians’ Centre of Excellence Inc.
- Ontario Provincial Police Essex County Detachment
- Unemployed Help Centre of Windsor Inc.
- Windsor Essex Local Immigration Partnership
- Windsor Fire & Rescue Services
- Windsor Police Service
- Windsor Women Working with Immigrant Women
- Women’s Enterprise Skills Training of Windsor Inc.
- YMCA of Western Ontario
SPICE Presentation at OMSSA
May 28, 2018
WE LIP’s SPICE (Settlement Partners Information Communication Exchange) Committee collaborated with the City of Windsor to deliver the SPICE Up Your Service Delivery Practices presentation during the Ontario Municipal Social Services Association (OMSSA) 2018 Leadership Symposium hosted in Windsor.
The workshop highlighted the collaborative partnership which has evolved as a subcommittee of the WE LIP through the leadership of the City of Windsor Employment and Social Services. The SPICE model regularly brings together Social Services staff from Ontario Works, Children’s Services and Housing in partnership with 12 local settlement agencies to exchange information, identify challenges and propose solutions, all with the common goal of promoting successful outcomes for newcomer clients.
- Bruno Ierullo, Executive Director of Employment and Social Services, City of Windsor
- Mary Ellen Bernard, Manager of Social Policy and Planning / Project Manager City of Windsor / Windsor Essex Local Immigration Partnership
- Janet Gerace, Supervisor, Ontario Works, City of Windsor
- Jennifer DeMaeyer, Orientation Specialist, Multicultural Council of Windsor and Essex County
- Marina George, Communication Assistant, Windsor Essex Local Immigration Partnership
Download a copy of this success story here: