WORKFORCE WINDSORESSEX PROMOTES ESSENTIAL JOBS WITH NEW CAREER RESOURCES
New Career Portal, Virtual Hospital Tours, and Workforce Interviews highlight in-demand job opportunities in Windsor-Essex
Windsor, ON – Workforce WindsorEssex, the region’s workforce planning board, launched new career resources to help students, jobseekers, and career changers learn more about the benefits of pursuing a career in an essential position in Windsor-Essex.
Since the beginning of the pandemic, essential workers have kept our local economy moving and the demand for certain occupations such as home support workers, retail salespersons, transport truck drivers, and more, remains strong. Today, we’re shining a spotlight on the high demand for essential workers locally by providing a virtual hospital tour and releasing interviews about people working on the front line in a new Essential Worker Career Portal.
The new resources being announced today include:
- A new Essential Worker Career Portal covering the top 50 occupations working in essential businesses, including in healthcare, transportation, information and communications, agriculture, and retail. This portal also shares information about the skills required for these positions, local wages and salary, local educational programs, and up-to-date available career opportunities.
- The release of new Workforce Interviews featuring interviews with workers in essential positions. These blogs will be released between November 2020 and April 2021.
- The organization of an online event called “A Virtual Look Inside Healthcare” will be held today. Local secondary students are hearing from health care professionals from Windsor Regional Hospital, Erie Shores HealthCare, and Hôtel-Dieu Grace Healthcare. Staff will share what led them to their position, their job duties, and what educational requirements are needed for their position. Students participating during the live event will have the opportunity to ask the staff questions to learn more about how they are playing a role during the ongoing COVID-19 crisis. A recording of “A Virtual Look Inside Healthcare” will be available online after the event.
Together, these new resources will help promote the variety of careers available in essential positions to students, jobseekers, and career changers who want to find new job opportunities that they may not have previously considered.
These resources can be found at wfwe.elev8webstudio.com/essential-careers.
“Windsor-Essex has been facing a skills shortage for many years, and that skills shortage is now exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic. These new resources will promote careers in essential positions, many of which will be in-demand for years to come, for both the current and future workforce.”
- Justin Falconer, CEO, Workforce WindsorEssex
“We are thrilled to partner with Workforce WindsorEssex and our hospital partners to bring this exciting event to the students of Windsor-Essex. Hôtel-Dieu Grace Healthcare believes strongly that we play a role in growing both current and future leaders and this virtual event is just one of the ways in which we achieve this.”
- Nicole Crozier, Manager, Communications, Hôtel-Dieu Grace Healthcare
“We are proud to help give students in our community an opportunity to learn about the wide variety of career opportunities available inside hospitals. This also gives them a close-up look at how some of these jobs function during a pandemic. It’s a unique opportunity in history for students to get incredible insight in real time.”
- Steve Erwin, Manager, Corporate Communications, Government and Community Relations, Windsor Regional Hospital
“The healthcare field is full of exciting opportunities for people of all education levels, abilities, and backgrounds. ESHC is honored to showcase some of our team who have led through the first wave of COVID-19 and give students real-time access to learn more about ESHC and our work with our diverse communities and our collaborative approach to healthcare in Essex County. Although the work can be highly rewarding, students will learn about the passion for people and our commitment to care in unprecedented times. We hope that our team will inspire the next generation of ESHC team members with this fantastic outreach – because compassionate care is essential – and driven by the people who deliver it.”
- Arms Bumanlag, Director of Public Relations & Communications, Erie Shores HealthCare
- Visit the Essential Worker Career Portal for interviews with local essential workers, essential worker career profiles, and virtual learning experiences.
- In previous years, Workforce WindsorEssex launched resources to encourage more people to pursue careers in the skilled trades, agriculture, and tech sector in Windsor-Essex.
- Workforce WindsorEssex collects local job postings from 48 job boards and employer websites to better understand employer demand for talent and to simplify job search via our innovative job finding tools: WEjobs board, WEmap jobs or WEexplore careers.
Executive Assistant and Researcher
About Workforce WindsorEssex
Workforce WindsorEssex is a workforce and community development board whose mission is to lead regional employment and community planning for the development of a strong and sustainable workforce. The organization is funded in part by the Government of Canada and the Government of Ontario.
Workforce WindsorEssex is an experienced leader in the development of regional labour market tools, research, guides, and events that create positive change in the local labour market while saving others time and effort. These resources, created in close coordination with employment, education and industry partners, are designed to help job seekers, employers, students and educators, as well as the community, make more informed labour market decisions using locally-responsive, data-rich and unbiased resources. To learn more about Workforce WindsorEssex visit workforcewindsoressex.com.
Printer Friendly file