About the Migrant Worker Support Program
In recognition of their need to support some of the nation’s most vulnerable and isolated workers, the Government of Canada announced the Migrant Worker Support Program as part of Budget 2021. Informed by the lessons learned from the Migrant Worker Support Network Pilot, the MWSP aims to support community-based organizations in the provision of migrant worker-centric programs and services.
The purpose of the program is to provide migrant workers with accurate information and access to available services and supports, and to assist them in learning about and exercising their rights while in Canada.
More specifically, they aim to:
- Increase migrant workers’ awareness and understanding of their rights and responsibilities through educational activities and/or educational material;
- Empower migrant workers to exercise their rights by providing or assisting in accessing services available to them;
- Foster inclusion and welcoming of migrant workers through social, cultural, and/or recreational events;
- Support migrant workers during emergency situations;
- Foster new partnerships or leverage existing partnerships/networks to support migrant workers;
- Develop and implement coordinated approaches among community organizations, and/or build their capacity and knowledge to provide resources and services to migrant workers.